Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Dannii's Diary from the Great walk to Beijing walk






Well...This Is It. I am embarking on a life changing journey that involves Cancer - but this is the first one I have chosen! I have had family and many friends who have survived this disease, and two dear friends that I have lost. Cancer seems to be more and more a part of everyone's life. Why? - I want to scream as loud as I can.

Everyone taking part in Great Walk to Beijing is on a personal mission - survivors, medics and others like me who have seen in close quarters this devastating illness.

Two flights from Melbourne I end up at the beautiful Ritz Carlton in Beijing. After checking in and meeting a few of the team, we hear a famous Jamaican called AJ singing in the lobby...but opera! It wasn't exactly what I was expecting to hear on my first visit to China....but it was "a yes from me" - this guy moves us with his vocal ability.

I ask him if he will join us on the walk, come meet Olivia and sing for her too. Apparently the wheels are in motion for AJ to meet us on the wall - so before I have even made my first sponsored steps, I have recruited a random.

A welcome nights sleep in a bed that is like a cloud, then we are up early to depart Beijing - a city of 16 million people with smog thick enough it cuts the view of the sun.

Our first flight lands in Xian. We touch down briefly enough to reboard a flight to Jiayuguan. We are now in Western China in a desert city that seems positively deserted.

After two days of non stop travel, I am over air transport and can't wait to get my walking boots on a ‘Get physical'!





Love and Dim Sum from Disco Dannii in China x

Tip of the day: carry toilet paper - you will never find that in the public toilets

Fact of the day: 8 is a lucky number and 'Eggplant' is what they say in Chinese when they take happy snaps - like we say "cheese"

Weigh In: 48.5kilos

(with thanks to the Herald Sun for the post)

0 comments: